Friday, March 18, 2011

The Good, Bad and Ugly of Texting

I want to discuss the good, bad and ugly of texting. Posting pictures and text onto websites and social networks is an everyday activity. What you post onto those sites is subject I want to discuss. The cell phone and computer is as much a part of our daily lives as breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I am thankful for that, for a number of good reasons:
 1. Not only are cell phones handy, they are a safety issue, allowing instant communication. If you are in trouble, you can call me, or emergency services.
2. Computers enrich our world and private lives with wealth of knowledge and communicative resources. My daughter in Australia is just a Skype away.
3. Getting a degree on line is available to everyone, making education an unlimited reality.
4. Doing homework is a lot easier. The next generation will probably not even have to learn cursive handwriting.
5. Social networking gives you access to diverse ideas, as well as like-minded individuals. You can be yourself without worrying about appearances.
6. You can interact through games, sharing like interests and skills. You can compete in multiple arenas.
7. The virtual community includes all genders, races and cultures. You really can be liked for who you are.
8. Being on the Internet can make you feel connected to ideas and people and communities, the whole world.

The bad news is, raising children is not a democratic process. As a parent, I have the responsibility to see that my child/ren behave appropriately, and by that, I mean I monitor their behavior on line and off. I speak from the perspective of an adult, but more importantly, I am a parent. I am concerned about not only my child, but all children. Trite, but true, my future is our children. So, I have a vested interest in making sure that children grow up and in the process, become decent human beings. That’s my job.

 I would like to clarify a few misconceptions I’ve run across.  

Myth: The more friends I have means I am popular.
Fact:  A collection of friends is not a relationship. How many of your cyber-buddies really care about you? How many of them do you care about? There is a big difference between “friending” on Facebook, MySpace and other social networks, and being a friend. A friend shares your likes, dislikes and interests, your core values, too.  

Myth: My post goes only to those friends I send it to on my cell or computer.
Fact: Those text and pictures can show up on any website, not only your friends, lovers, family, but on the computers of job interviewers, professional scouts, and predators.

 Myth: I can delete a post whenever I want.
Fact: If you post a text, picture or sexting, that stays out in cyberspace forever. Clever YouTube videos will be with us for as long as it takes to create software to delete them---but, there is no way to delete those postings. I want to talk to you about cyberbullying, the ugly part. With use of the Internet, instant messaging (IM), email and social networks, bullies can threaten, harass, intimidate, humiliate and embarrass someone twenty-four hours a day, everyday.  

Myth: If I remain anonymous, I cannot get into trouble. Who knows if I use another name, another identity? My parents and teachers will never know.
Fact: There is software to trace the posts back to the sender. If, say, you post a video, picture or text, of a classmate and make-up nasty rumors about that person, and it is traced back to you, then there are consequences.
  
Myth:  I can’t get into very much trouble.
Fact: You may be suspended or expelled from school, and could serve community service hours or even jail time. Your parents are liable for any lawsuits the victim or the victim’s parents file against your parents for invasion of privacy, defamation, sexual harassment, threats, or psychological harm; the schools are also being sued and held accountable. That is why there are now several states that have laws giving schools the authority to intervene in cyberbullying episodes.  

Myth: No one really takes this seriously. It’s just a joke!
Fact: Kids are literally being harassed to death. It is not funny.
With each new technological advance, we have opportunities to know more about ourselves each other, our world. We also have a responsibility to be good to one another, living in the Stone Age or the New Age of Technology. Before you hit the “send” button to post a text or picture, think!  Think of all the people now and forever who will love you or hate you for it.

No comments: