Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Inteview by Michael F. Shaughnessy

Recently I was interviewed by Michael Shaughnessy for www.EducationNews.org around my latest children’s book: YNK – You Never Know and the topic of cellphones, manners, texting and bullying. I really enjoyed speaking with Michael and think we had some great dialogue. I’m going to share it over the next week. Do you have any thoughts you would like to add to the conversation? Please comment below!


MS: Jacquie I have to tell you, I am very tired of sitting in a restaurant, trying to enjoy a cup of coffee and these cell phone are going off all around me with all kinds of noises and tunes and buzzing and the William Tell Overture. What’s a sane adult to do.

JR: It is too bad that so many people have forgotten the common courtesy of respecting others’ space. I would frequent establishments that post a “no cell phones: quiet zone “ and know that I have to put up with celly chatter in places that don’t have a “no cell” policy.


MS: I recently saw good old Jerry Seinfeld on tv and even he comments on the fact that people answer their cell phones , ignoring the person they are talking to and then they text, continuing to ignore the person they are with and then they check their e-mail, continuing to ignore the person they are with—well, you get the idea. Have we become a nation of no courtesy? Or a very rude nation?

JR: Unfortunately, I think this is the crux of the problem we are facing with our advanced technology---we’ve forgotten some very basic manners, which are, after all, more common sense than rules. I want to feel like I am important to the person I am with at the moment; if he or she is texting, on a cell phone or laptop, I know that I am not the center of that person’s attention. I don’t care if everyone else does it, I am more important. If I have to call you on your cell phone to tell you that I am sitting beside you and want to converse, why would I bother to meet you in person?

MS: I go into the cleaners to drop off some khaki pants. The kid behind the counter starts to take care of my but then their phone rings and they stand there talking, yapping away for about 5 minutes. Where is the manager in this scene? What happened to “The Customer Comes First

JR: I would have no problem with a hard stare, a loud sigh and pursed lips until the kid got off the phone; then I would ask in my most motherly voice, “You do know that talking while I am waiting to conduct business is rude and unprofessional, right?”

MS: Moving on to children and cell phones. I can understand parents wanting to be in touch with their kids- but at what age should one of these little tykes be given this wonderful instrument with which to burden their thumbs?

JR: A lot depends on the circumstances for parent and child. One thing I appreciate about cell phones is the gps locator in the phones ---it is an added false sense of security, if the phone is on and has a full battery, then it is possible to track the whereabouts of the person’s phone, not necessarily the person. I personally don’t think elementary school children should have cell phones, unless the child is walking a long distance home after school, or is a latch-key child.

MS: And what are the duties, obligations and responsibilities that parents have?
to be continued.......

No comments: