Sunday, November 14, 2010

My Visit to Gregory Heights Elementary School for Author’s Day

On a sunny day in Seattle, I was invited to Gregory Heights Elementary School for Author’s Day, hosted by the librarian, Mr. Michael Bento. I have taught workshop for adults, but nothing is as scary as living up to the expectations of sixth-graders.

I have to say I am impressed with the depth and thoughtfulness of their questions and responses. One student got to the bottom line and asked me if I made any money writing; I replied you should have another job with a steady income. Another student asked about the creative process, and how I go about the writing process; we had a discussion about the different types of writing and methods to best approach an essay, a book report, a journal or short story. They were quiet and attentive as I explained the process of birthing a book from manuscript to publication, and the business of marketing a book.

Those two thirty-minute sessions with the sixth-graders zipped by all too fast, and I as I gathered up my materials, I realized that I left with a lot more than I had brought with me: a heartfelt appreciation for the students at Gregory Heights Elementary School.

Thank you to all the students who asked so many great questions!

I would love to visit your school for your Author's Day.  Please contact me directly if you'd like me to participate.  I am always inspired by children when I visit schools.  They help me keep my story ideas relevant and meaningful!
Contact me here:  http://www.jacquieream.com/Contact.html

No comments: