Sunday, November 14, 2010

Technology is a Privilege

I’ve had enough.

Between the proliferation of cyberbullying that has been dominating the headlines and the inappropriate communications that cell phones and computers enable teens to engage in, it’s time for us as parents to set new rules for how children use technology.

Lately, I’ve been on a rant, (really a radio anti-bullying tour) on this topic. And I’m using the books in my Bully Dog Series to help create dialogue about this topic between children, parents, and teachers alike. In my latest book “YNK-You Never Know,” and my school program to help children understand “How not to be a Bully Dog” Fran is back with a whole new set of challenges including engaging in cyberbullying.

Although YNK-You Never Know is a fictional book for middle school and early teen children who simply enjoy reading, and the return of the first book’s main characters, it is also is my way of bringing to the forefront the pitfalls of technology facing our children today. I’ve seen it myself, parents are currently experiencing the pressure of how new technology has become such an integral part of their children’s daily lives. And for many, they have no idea how to discuss this subject in a way that their children can understand that they have their concerns for how it is being abused. Think about it, only five years ago, most teens, never mind their younger siblings, didn’t own a cell phones. If they did it was carried for emergency purposes only. Today, not having a cell phone by the time you are a teen is a reason to get bullied enough.

Sadly, children today are holstering cellphones, and accessing the internet in ways that are as dangerous as a gun and we’ve all seen the news of bullied youngsters who have taken their own life. This has to stop, and as adults it is our job to do everything we can to see that it does.

I believe that the best way to prevent cyberbullying is for parents and educators to teach children about the “rules” of engaging in technology, and the ramification of their behaviors should they not follow them. Afterall, we can still take away that cell phone or move the computer out of their room, or even our house.

In my next post I will be talking about a few things that parents should think about when it comes to children and technology. I'd love to hear your comments too!

No comments: